20 May 2012

anniversaire

when we arrived here in france one year ago I remember clearly the delightful overwhelm of birds singing shrilly and a profuse of pink roses blooming. we were giddy with the adrenaline of farewelling the city we grew up in, the kin we love, the salty breeze... we were fatigued with 24 hours of flying and nervous to twist our tongues around a new language. it seems so long ago we turned the key into our one-room maisonette and breathed in an unfamiliar scent - not bad - just foreign about our necks. It seems like yesterday I watched our garden grow and my belly with child. 

one year past,
and I can see beyond the carefully framed photograph;
my hands picking fresh cherries, beans, apples, pears, verbena,
a riot in our neighbourhood and the smell of plastic bins set alight,
tears of loneliness, frustration, remembrance,
gypsies on the train, monet, fresh bread,
friendships forged, letters written, rodin,
the blue, subdued cityscape the morning my firstborn arrived,
my lover about the chestnut trees, hedges, computer screens -
falling snow, conversations with the six-year-old through the fence,
a booming voice advertising the circus,
the best raspberries, the worst cheese
flying ants, and a hint of violet tisane.

one year to come, 
and I see ocean, stone, summer harvesting,
a baby boy crawling through poppies,
crossing the boarders, flying over the strait of gibraltar, 
languages learnt a little more, characters crafted in ink and vectors,
tears of happiness, tears for home -
some plans let go of, others picked up,
the feel of soft skin, laundry, faith, art, earth.

now its early morning - the house sleeps, a babe cradled in my left arm, a cup of tea gone cold - outside the birds cheer on the day and pink roses unfurl...

7 comments:

  1. you're magnificent, dear "blogger" friend.

    what a year.....

    much love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a year it has been for you. I would love to hear more about how you came to decide to make such a move! My little family will be making a more to Italy and France for 4-6 months each this Autumn and I have been mostly scared, but trying to be excited. You are very brave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been quite the year for you. The next one will fly by and you'll be sad to leave. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how much new worlds open up to us as we settle in. how much more we can see once it is familiar.

    love to you from sunshiney mudgee

    alice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Already a year......and what a beautiful one it looks and sounds to have been.
    I love the hope that you so clearly bring out.
    May this next year in France be even more light-filled than the first!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. You swept me away in your recapping poetry from the half way point of your foreign adventure.

    I have prayed, laughed, worried, wept, longed and loved from where I sit here, for you three there.

    Much love, and then some.

    Shell xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.